I started development on this recipe way back in 2004, when it was little more than chick peas and feta cheese, but it has evolved to the following amazingness over time.
It’s a great dish to bring to parties, serve as an appetizer at your dinner party, or to just enjoy as a healthy yet filling and delicious meal during the week.
It’ll keep in the fridge for 5 to 6 days. Feel free to experiment and add or substitute all sorts of new things. Enjoy!
The Ultimate Bean & Feta Salad
Total prep time: 30 minutes of chopping and mixing
Serves 8 to 10
- beans, 3 x 15oz cans (pick any three: kidney, pinto, red, cannellini, black, black-eyed, white, butter, garbanzo)
- green beans, sliced, 1 can (alternate: 1 can of corn)
- red onion, 1 small or ½ large
- olives, pitted, 1 can (green or black)
- feta cheese, 6-10 oz (around ½ pound) crumbled
- parsley, 1 handful, finely chopped (optional addition or substitution: cilantro)
- roasted red peppers, 1 10-12oz jar
- garlic, 2-3 cloves, crushed or finely diced
- olive oil, several dollops
- balsamic vinegar, several dollops (alternate: cider vinegar)
- pepper, salt, oregano, paprika, etc (to taste)
- Drain and rinse in a colander the beans and green beans (or corn) and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Finely dice the red onion and add in.
- Drain the olives, slice & dice, and add to the bowl.
- Chop up and crumble in the feta cheese. This is a good point to mix what’s already in the bowl.
- Dice the roasted red peppers and garlic and add to the bowl.
- Chop up the parsley (and/or cilantro) and add in.
- Add in the olive oil, vinegar, and any spices.
- Mix thoroughly and it’s done!